Which Chinese Cities Are Most Welcoming to the Returnees?

According to the Center for China and Globalization’s (CCG) 2018 Chinese Returnees’ Employment and Entrepreneurship Report, 61% of returnees are returning back to their home town (where their residential booklet “Hukou” originates). The remaining 39% of students are seeking employment or entrepreneurial support, which is also tied to the “Hukou” policy, as this defines their right to work in the public sector, to purchase property, and their children’s education. Despite Beijing attracting 13% of students who are willing to consider relocating, Beijing has strict quotas for issuing Hukou status. On the other hand, Shanghai doesn’t impose a quota, rather it has a strict list of top 500 universities. Further, Shanghai doesn’t discriminate between joint programs, but excludes certain pathway programs such as HND and diploma bridging courses, and also requires a minimum monthly salary of RMB11,000 (USD1,570). Conversely, Guangzhou simply requires students to be employed, and Shenzhen welcomes anyone with a foreign degree. All returnees to these cities have a two year timeframe to choose their residency location. While Beijing is aiming to reduce its living population by 700,000, Guangzhou and Shenzhen each issued over 400,000 new resident booklets in 2018.

Comments are closed.

Copyright © 2019 ·  All Rights Reserved ·  China Higher Ed

0