Online Workshop: Cross-Cultural Communication
An Introduction for Campus Staff
Length: 120 minutes
Format: Online Webinar
Date: Wednesday, 28th November 2018 *
Time: 06:00 am (China Time)
* Note: Organisations can contact us to organise a time slot that suits your organisation’s schedule. The above information is for individuals joining the scheduled workshop.
Download an overview of this workshop:
Dr Fiona Swee-Lin Price
CEO, Globalise Consulting
Dr Fiona Swee-Lin Price is an award-winning public speaker, and has been working in the intercultural field for over twenty years. Her mother is Malaysian Chinese, her father is Anglo-Australian, and she speaks Mandarin and French.
Fiona founded Globalise Consulting (formerly Tamago Consulting) in 2001, after completing her PhD in cross-cultural psychology. Since then she has developed and presented training programs and lectures on cultural diversity issues in Australia, India, New Zealand and the USA.
She has amassed a vast array of experience working with tertiary institutions, government bodies and companies where she has developed and delivered a host of innovative and very successful intercultural training programs.
Her training and consulting provides a pragmatic and practical approach to cultural diversity and cross-cultural communication that helps participants take something concrete and useful away with them.
Her publications in the field include ‘Success with Asian Names’, published in 2007 by Nicholas Brealey, and ‘The HarperCollins International Student Survival Guide’, published in 2015, for which she was the Australian co-author.
Publisher and Managing Consultant, CHE
Cecilia is a Co-founder and Publisher of China Higher Education (CHE), a regular contributor and speaker at major international education conferences on China education issues. Cecilia is also a convenor for the Australia China Alumni Association an NGO supported by Australian Government and most of the public universities, and serves on the International committee of the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority, Australia.
Prior to Education, Cecilia had 20 years of consulting experience. Her clients include fortune 200 companies, education institutions, NGOs, Government departments, as well as SMEs from Australia, Zealand, the US, UK and Europe.
Cecilia holds an MBA from Mt. Eliza business school (currently Melbourne Business School) and a Master of Applied Finance degree from the joint Tsinghua University/Macquarie University program.
Section 1: Navigating Chinese Culture & Negotiation
A. Understanding and Navigating Chinese Culture
- Culture: Where to Start
Methods of Engagement
China: In Numbers
Rules & Relationships
Changing Culture: Approach & Process
“Laowai” in the Workplace
B. Negotiating in China
- Key Tips
- Effective Meetings
- Personal Relationships
- Common MIstakes
Section 2: Practical Cross-Cultural Communication Tips
A. Top 4 Cross-Cultural Challenges
- The Yes Syndrome: “Have I been understood?”
- The Life Story Syndrome: “Get to the point!”
- The Rude/Polite Gap: From “Sir” to “So?”
- The Rule Benders: “But my friend said that…”
B. Information Management for Campus Staff
Audio Exercise: ‘When Things Don’t Register’ (Dialogue at a campus service desk)
- Cultural differences in organisational structure;
- How information is organised in different languages;
- The use of ‘yes’ and ‘no’ across cultures;
- What you can do: Practical tips for campus staff;
C. Making your English AccessibleDiscussion Activity: Politeness and register in English
- How politeness works in English: Vocabulary, phrasing, grammar
- Register in English: casual, formal and ‘classroom’ English
- What you can do: Practical tips for campus staff
D. Summary and Q&A
RegistrationPrice: USD 110 per person (CHE Member Price: USD 99 per person **)
Payment Methods: Online Store (PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, WeChat, AliPay), Bank Transfer (China or Australia)
** Note: If you are a CHE Club Member, please contact us to receive the discount coupon code.
Terms and Conditions
- Attendance: Attendance to CHE events is guaranteed only after having received a confirmation of attendance email from CHE. Purchase of a ticket does not necessarily ensure attendance. If you are not sure of your status, please contact CHE.
- Number of Participants: To ensure a diversity of participants, tickets for CHE’s offline events are generally limited to a maximum of TWO representatives from any one organisation. CHE reserves the right to cancel any tickets obtained above said limit by any one organisation (except for webinars).
- Participation: Participation in CHE’s events is ONLY for professionals working in the tertiary education industry or related services sector. CHE reserves the right to cancel any purchased tickets and/or refuse admission to those not working in such sectors. If you are not sure of your status, please contact CHE BEFORE you purchase your ticket. Participation in CHE’s events for those not in the tertiary education industry (or related services sector) is by INVITATION ONLY.
- Refund Policy: If an event is cancelled by CHE, a full-refund will be provided. For any customers/organisations who have purchased a ticket and either do not attend the event or do not meet any of the above criteria, no refund will be provided. No refund will be provided for attendees who are unable to access the webinar to due to issues with connectivity, user experience or technology at their end.
- New Webinar Attendees/Webex Users: Please see the www.webex.com website for details on how to use the software. We start our webinars approximately 30 minutes before the scheduled start time to provide an opportunity for attendees to test their connection and to ask questions.
- Webinar Connection: In the event of any disruption to the (Internet) connection during a webinar that significantly affects the quality of the webinar, CHE will either a) provide an audio recording of the webinar and share the slides or b) provide credit towards a future webinar of the participant’s choice.
- Webinars: Free for CHE Club members (both organisation and individual members) throughout 2018. If you are unsure of your CHE Club membership status, please contact us. To become a CHE Club member please click here. We do not distribute recordings or slides of our webinars.